Monday, February 25, 2008

Belgian Castles

Europe is full of castles. They have so many castles they don't even know what to do with all of them. Belgium seems to have more castles per capita than any other country, but to me they aren't nearly as impressive as the Rhine river castles in Germany. But alas, they are close, and we go see them anyways. The first one pictured is very near our apartment. It is about a 15 kilometer bike ride, or 10 minute drive by car. There isn't anything to see inside, but it is lovely to walk around and look at on a rare sunny day. Mia, my three year old, took one of these photos, hope you like them.





A second castle we went to visit is in the national botanical gardens of Belgium. The location is north of Brussels and the grounds are enormous. We really loved the greenhouses, but there was no way to see everything in one afternoon. We will have to go back this spring. The gardens are more of a site than the Bouchout Castle, but they are both impressive and worth the entrance fee.

My pictures aren't very nice, but I found this website that is superb. Enjoy. Bouchout Castle and National Botanic Garden of Belgium

3 comments:

Liz Kraft said...

Hi Tim,

I saw your comment on the mediabistro forum, and thought I'd stop by to check out your blog. I enjoyed reading your posting about Belgian castles. Incredible,isn't it?

Gee, you must be pretty close by! We're in Zeeland (NL).

How old are your girls? My son's just over 2. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, be sure to look us up!

Cheers,
Liz
(an Orlando, Florida native )

Liz Kraft said...

Oops, I came across your comment on the facebook forum "American Expatriates".

Hope you got my last comment! If not, let me know.

Cheers,
Liz

Timothy Richmond said...

Hey Liz,
Thanks for leaving a comment. We actually visited the North Holland area back in February, and are planning another trip in April to see some of the tulip bulb fields. Not sure if that is very close to Zeeland?

Tim