Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The End is Near

One week from today and we hop in a plane bound for Chicago. It has been since June 27th, 2007 that we were on American soil. Since then we have added one human member to the family, Carmen, and one feline member, Spikkel. We are very much looking forward to our imminent return, but not so much to the travel schedule.

On Wednesday morning we will head for the airport quite early as we need to beat rush hour traffic to the train station. We will have about 7 suitcases, 2 carseats, 4 carry-ons, one cat, and a stroller in tow. HELP! We decided to use the train rather than have someone drive us because the train always takes 18 minutes, but driving can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours.

We are scheduled for take off at 11am here and arrival in Chi-town at 1:30 pm (a 2 hour flight . . . I wish!) Upon landing we have a rental van reserved to fit us all in. The reservation gives us 24 hours to get from O'hare airport to Wichita airport. In that time we will obviously need some sleep, 12 hours of driving, and dropping our stuff off at Mindy's parents. Did I mention sleep?

Upon arrival in the Galva/Hillsboro area, I will have about 2 days to relax, see the house I am buying, sign a bunch of papers for that, and then get on a train at 3am in Newton to take me to Colorado for a conference. (The conference is the real reason I'm in the US, I'm just taking that opportunity to also move my family back and close on a house.) Not to bore everyone with the rest of the details, so summary is I will return to Leuven June 16th by myself to finish the last things up over here.

See you all soon.

No comments: